I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Bucks and Packers - Early Predictions

The summer is sort of a low point for me when it comes to sports. To fill the void to some degree I would like to talk about what, to me, is the most exciting part of the sports year. I cannot wait until November and December of 2005 when NFL football is in the midst of the playoff race and NBA basketball is just beginning. To celebrate the anticipation of the time, I thought I would give you, the reader, my thoughts on the upcoming Packers and Bucks season.

Bucks

I must say, I am pretty excited for the Bucks season this year. In terms of player personnel, they have made some great moves. It all started with re-signing Michael Redd; that was a must. They then draft Andrew Bogut to hopefully sure up the center position. They then go out and sign Bobby Simmons, a swing man that can play the SG/SF position. They get Jiri Welsch in a traded to have plenty of dedpth in the guard position. Signing Danny Gadzuric secures one big man and you have Joe Smith returning. My only concern is getting a few more big men signed to add some depth there. Zaza would help. I think this team is young and exciting and I think they could compete for a 7th or 8th seed in the East.

The only thing that perplexes me in the firing of Terry Porter and the hiring of Terry Stotts. Porter had one year left on his contract, and was told by Bucks general manager Tom Harris that he was “the coach” for the Bucks. A few months later, he is given the axe and they go in a different direction. They then hire a coach in Stotts who has less head coaching experience. I think they should have stuck with Porter and honored his contract.

Packers

*sigh* I am really looking forward to NFL football. I with I could say I was excited for the prospects of the Green Bay Packers this year. I think the Packers have a solid offense (although the offensive line is a little suspect), unfortunately the defense has suffered as a result. There are no leaders on that defense and I think they will give up a lot of points, especially via the pass. I don’t see them doing much better then 9-7. If they make the playoffs, they would squeak in as a 6th seed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, have you ever considered a career in sports communications... you'd be really good at it seeing as how you are so up on all the major sports, know players and their strengths by heart, and understand the coaching and what can possibly be done to correct any errors. Not to mention, you actually know the sport itself! I bet you'd be suprised at the amount of people you would reach in agreement to your knowledge and opinions. And just for the record, the Packers will come in a low 4th, more likely in 5th position in the overall.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the anonymous comment made. It's nice to hear such a genuine sporting voice for once... one that's not filled with so much bias, politics, and popularity.