I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Interesting Quote

I have finally finished the book Black Rednecks and White Liberals and the author has an interesteing quote near the end of his last essay, he says:

"Past grievances, real or imaginary, are equally irremediable in the present, for nothing that is done among living contemporaries can change in the slightest the sins and sufferings of generations who look those sinse and sufferings to the grave with them in centuries past. Galling as it may be to be helpless to redress the crying injustices of the past, symbolic expiation in the present can only create new injustices among the living and new problems for the future, when newborn babies enter the world with pre-packaged grievances against other babies born the same day."

I post this statement to get your thoughts about it. I have my own thoughts about what he is getting at, but I'd be curious to hear what you have to say. I look forward to being part of a lively discussion.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The past is not useless, however we must be weary of what we use it to do. Mudslinging is a commonn example of using things of the past, as is blackmail, both terribly strong when used correctly but sadly unneeded if we just rid our ears of the stereotypes and other obstacles (racism, classism and any other isms) that prevent us from truely shutting-up and listening. In the end, I think that's what it is about. Silencing Oursleves and listening for a bit before we speak or act.