I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Guitar Hero 2

As anticipated, I had the opportunity to play a lot of Guitar Hero 2 this past weekend. It felt wonderful; it was nice to have a weekend not involving anything stressful. I hooked up my PS2 to the big screen TV, so it was much easier to see what I was playing.

Overall, I think Guitar Hero 2 is a great game. There is much to be excited about, and only a few things that take away from the game.

Strengths:
  • Game play is almost completely the same...easy transition.
  • Some great rock tunes are in the mix: Carry On Wayward Sun, Freebird, Cherry Pie, Shout at the Devil, Sweet Child of Mine.
  • I like that you need to get through 40 songs to complete the career mode, not 30.
  • I like the Dethklok and Trodgor bonus tracks.
  • I really appreciate the option to play rhythm, lead or bass guitar in certain songs.
  • The cooperative mode is a great deal of fun...I appreciate the fact that you are working together instead of against each other.
  • There is more variety of graphics in loading menus. The quotes are also funnier.
  • They made career mode somewhat more involved.
Drawbacks:
  • I liked the songs from Guitar Hero better than the songs from Guitar Hero 2.
  • Many of the songs this time around are long; many are also very repetitive and this can get old after awhile.
  • The jump from medium to hard is a large jump. Also, overall the game seems to be harded on all levels than it was in Guitar Hero.
  • I wish there was a high score board for cooperative mode efforts.
  • The bonus tracks are not as good overall.
  • I miss the "Grim Ripper" from Guitar Hero. He looked cooler.
  • It wierds me out that when you make a mistake your note scroll shakes. Odd.
Overall, it's a great game. I (and Christa) look forward to many hours of playing.

0 comments: