I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Vacation Bible School

For those I have talked to recently, you know that this week has been quite crazy. Monday through Friday of this week after RHD training, I was involved with our church's Vacation Bible School. The theme was centered around what life was like in Israel around the time of Jesus. For a christian church, it was interesting to learn a lot about the Jewish faith. Even as a adult, I was learning :).

As an RHD, I work with college students all the time. Looking at my "tribe" for vacation bible school (we represented the Levi family), I had a 3 year old, a 5 year old, a 7 year old and an 8th grader. What an adjustment! The first two days were so frustrating. The next two days, I actually combined with another tribe because I did not feel like I was getting to the kids in my tribe. After observing someone else, I was able to do a pretty decent job with the kids today, the last day. What did I learn from this?

(1) You can't be good at everything. You are always learning, no matter how old you are.
(2) There are teachers everywhere that you can learn from; sometimes you just need to take step back and realize who you can learn from.
(3) Even if children come away with one idea in a day, you have accomplished something (this doesn't change with college students ;))
(4) No matter how frustrating at times, all experiences can be rewarding.

1 comments:

Christa J. Droste said...

I'm glad you came away with something from this experience. By the way, your thoughts are very insightful ones. :) (Hey, I'm no longer anonymous!)