I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Recent Lessons

As the struggle continues with the First United Methodist Church of Oshkosh, I have learned some valuable lessons that will be helpful to me regardless of the career path that I choose beyond the RHD position.

1. People Will Not Like What You Do – I work in the field of Residence Life where everyone likes everyone else. It is also a field of accommodators that are likely to keep animosity or frustration to themselves that the group might continue to function. Given the struggles with my church, I have now had to deal almost daily with the realization that members of the church do not like how I am handling the situation. As difficult as that can be, it is also a good feeling because now I know what it’s like. It won’t be so difficult the next time.

2. People Can Separate You From Your Work – Despite some people not necessarily liking what I have to say or not liking how you handle something, they can still respect you as a person and can understand the difficulty you are having. After last night’s Council Meeting, I could tell that I angered some folks or at least told people something that they did not want to hear. I was amazed at how many people came up to me after the meeting to express concern, encouragement or support despite the gravity of the situation.

3. Trust the Process – As Tracy Davis, my professor from graduate school, always emphasized, despite the desired outcome more will come out of what got you there. As difficult as that is to understand right now…he was right. When this is done I will have grown so much based on the process.

1 comments:

Hal and Anna said...

Turst the process, like nailing jello to a tree, it all depends on the research question, about what about wookies?