I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

My House Is Worth What?

Last night, Christa and I were sitting down together watching television. I was waiting to leave to hang out with my little brother and she was relaxing from taking her exam. We were watching the Home & Garden Channel, a channel I do not watch often. Specifically, we were watching a program called My House is Worth What?

In this show, homeowners have their house assessed because they usually are interested in putting it up for sale. They talk about how much they paid for it and also talk about the improvements that they made to the house. A expert real estate assessor comes in and gives them a theoretical sale value.

What disturbed me the most was how much these houses were going for...most were valued at around $700,000-800,000. Now, I realize that some of these houses were in rich neighborhoods, but seriously...

...who needs a house that big? And most of these folks were interested in getting a bigger house. I just don't understand. I realize we all need shelter, but can't it just be a matter of finding what meets our needs as opposed to purchasing a castle? I also realize that houses provide equity, but how much do you really need?

I wonder what Jesus would say to those who have houses so large. How might some of that money be put to better use?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim,

I recently read an article, sorry can't find the link, in Vanity Fair that was all about the trend towards downsizing. The article said the McMansions of the last decade will be the low income housing of the future. The size and location of most of these huge houses will live them empty, desired by only those with no other choice.

During the next 10 years, the article argued, we will become a nation of high density, short commute, smaller houses and walking neighborhoods.

I hope this cheers you up.

Polly Briley

Unknown said...

Perhaps they're prosperity theologians.

And as to Polly's comment - I think with the urban sprawl that's evident all over the country, it'll take longer than 10 years. But we'll see.