I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Career Opportunities - Part I (Music)

As I said earlier, I wanted to talk a little about my career options as I look beyond the RHD position. The first option I wanted to talk about involved music.

As I look back at my times as a music major, the biggest hang-up that I had with the major was the performance component. The thought of getting up in front of groups and singing and playing piano for groups has always and will always be a pretty scary experience for me. However, the history and theory of music has always fascinated me. I really liked finding out the mystery behind music and finding out about how music has evolved over time.

So, I have contemplated the possibility of getting a Master's in music with the intention of possibly teaching music on a college/university level. I relish the thought of teaching classes about music appreciation and music history. I really do love music, but not music performance. Of all of my options, this is probably the one that is least likely to happen. Usually, to attain a higher degree in music, you need to have a primary instrument and continue work with that instrument. I am honestly not a gifted enough singer to make that happen. I also worry about job security and assuring myself that I will have a place to work at all times.

Stayed tuned for the next career installment.

0 comments: