I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Censorship

With the busyness of OPE at hand this previous weekend, I had to delay the time I spend with my little brother (through Big Brothers/Big Sisters) until yesterday. We had determined the last time we got together that we were going to play pool in the basement of Breese Hall. We the equipment and headed down, only to find out that there were other folks hanging out in the basement.

I sometimes worry about how my residents will act to speak around my little brother. Well, as we began playing pool the hip/hop music playing over the basement stereo was not very youth friendly. It had frequent swearing and some other suggestive material. While I was willing to let it go for awhile, I eventually had enough and asked them if they could switch to something less vulgar. The response to me was, "He's heard it anyway." I insisted, and they said I could turn the music off. Even my little brother said it wasn't a big deal, but I insisted that if he was going to be in my presence, I want to make sure he is not being exposed to that stuff.

It saddens me to know how much stuff our children are exposed to and people don't seem concerned about it.

0 comments: