I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Relay for Life

Tomorrow evening, a group of 11 Webster residents will be taking part in the 2nd Annual UW Oshkosh Relay for Life event. This 12-hour event involves members of various teams walking around a track from 6PM to 6AM. Teams have raised money for the event, which all goes to caner research. Events like this are hosted all over the country all helping the American Cancer Society.

Our team is the Web of Hope. We had a fundraising goal of $2,000. I thought our team leader was crazy to set such a high amount. But, we reached it. Through some amazing individual donations and some great hall fundraisers, we reached our goal. I look forward to celebrating with teammates at tomorrow's event.

I am curious to see how I hold up staying up until 2:00 AM. Last year, I didn't make it much past midnight. I didn't think it was realistic to stay up until 6:00 AM, especially with church and other meetings coming up on Sunday.

It can also be easy to get caught up in the fun and celebration of Relay. It is important to also remember that this is a time to honor and remember those who have lost the battle with cancer or continue the fight. It is a chance to celebrate those who have overcome cancer.

Maybe I'll see you there...or else you will be participating in a Relay for Life near you.

0 comments: