I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Day 1: Mediation Class

I finished the first day of our mediation class. We only spent the last two hours talking about the beginnings of the mediation process. Much of today was spent doing some personality and leadership inventories. This wasn't a bad way to go because it helped us to realize the diversity of personalities not only in the room, but also the diversity of the population we will be working with.

Based on the assessment I took, I realized some things that will stand in the way of my ability to be an effective mediator:
  • In mediation, we allow the parties involved to come to their own conclusions, despite what we think the outcome will be. Thus, even if we think something will end in a stalemate, we are not allowed to intervene.
  • Mediators aren't allowed to give advice. Doh! I usually jump to the advice-giving pretty quick in my conversations. I will need to work on this as well.
  • Mediators are also not allowed to present their own ideas or their own thoughts.
These are things that I know I need to work on any way, so this will give me an opportunity to let go of control and practice my active listening :).

0 comments: