I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Barbershop Singing

Over the course of the fall semester, I have had the opportunity to get to know a resident in my building named Alex. He is always listening to barbership music at the desk and as someone who loved barbershop music in high school and college, it was nice to have a kindred spirit. I used to listen to barbershop all the time and sang in quartets in high school. Looking back on it, I'm not sure why I stopped singing and appreciating that form of music.

Perhaps some day I can devote an entry to how I shut music out of my life to some degree after I graduated college. For now, I can say that Alex invited me to a chorus in Appleton called "Pride of the Valley". I wasn't sure what to expect and when we did some initial warm-ups, I still was not sure what to expect. But, when we divided into our first chord during warm-ups...I was hooked.

It was an awesome music...hearing the tight harmonies and the buzzing of a perfectly tuned chord...I realized what I was missing. I am really looking forward to being in another choir experienve to complement my work in the church choir.

My first music eduational teacher would talk about the aesthetic experience of music...I definitely had one last night.

0 comments: