I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Choir Renaissance

First United Methodist Church Oshkosh recently hired a new Choir Director has now held two weeks of rehearsals. We will be performing in church this coming Sunday. We will be seven strong and we will sing the best we can. I am sure that the congregation will be very excited to have a choir back in the service.

I was really sad when I looked around the church and saw who was singing. Many faces were not among those practicing. We lost may of our best voices as our church struggled with issues between our current pastor and our director of music. As a result of her leaving the church and her position, we lost almost every section leader or strong voice. As a result, our choir is small and not too confident...but we are filled with a lot of spirit.

I am happy that the choir is singing again and that we have a young and energetic choir director. She is in the same position that I was in her age. I think we will be able to accomplish some great things...we will just need to be strong recruiters.

I am saddened at how people view membership of the church and the role they play in the church. In Christianity, there is only on church, the church of Christ. We may all belong to our own churches, but they are just buildings. All Christians are part of one church no matter what their denomination. I wish people could get over their own petty squabbles and look beyond themselves. What can we do to further the church? How can I be a better Christian?

Let's get over the "I'm taking my toys and leaving" mentality. *sigh*

0 comments: