I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Thought

As per the lectionary texts for this week, the epistle lesson came from 1 Corinthians 9: 24-27:

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."

Only one person can win a physical race, but in the race of the Faith, we are all encouraged to race as to try to win. There is no trophy we are hoping to earn. Our imperishable gift is the love and compassion of God through Jesus Christ. What other motivation do you need? We are warned to exert ourselves with discipline and purpose, lest our energies be used poorly. The Good News is that there can be more than one winner in the race described in the text.

That is a good feeling, but it does not come without work. Being a Christian does require hard work. Being a disciple and helping others to become disciples is not an easy task, but it is a task we are asked to do. Continue to run the race! Don't falter!

0 comments: