I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dungeons & Dragons Cartoon

I remember this cartoon. It aired in 1983. That 25 years ago. Recently, a few friends have purchased boxed set containing the entire 24-episode series. I have borrowed the series and I am slowly watching the whole series. So, a few thoughts thus far. Please keep in mind, these are my perspectives on the series now:

*** Caution...dorky material to follow ***
  1. It pains me to see such powerful monsters reduced to being easily defeated. Would Lolth really die by having a baby unicorn cut her web? Did I just write this? Needless to say, Tiamat gets scared off by one magical spell. It's not right. Those characters would totally be dead.
  2. The cavalier's main weapon is a shield? Really??
  3. I do appreciate seeing monsters and places from the game being put into the cartoon. Same goes with the character classes.
  4. Peter Cullen does the voice of the main villian. No, Jim, it's not Optimus Prime.
  5. The cartoon is so very 80s. I love it! It's dated, but in a funny retro way. It'd be interesting to see what it would look like with today's cartoon standards.
  6. I wonder why the series only lasted 24 episodes. For a kid's cartoon, it was quite good.
Note: If you buy the complete series, you are provided with the AD&D 3rd Edition equivalent of their character sheets. Can't we just have the mystery?

1 comments:

Jason said...

I remember that show! My sister and I watched it when it was on; CBS, I think... Everything is on DVD these days! Next, it'll be Kidd Video.