I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Planet Earth

Christa and I are in the process of watching disk three of five in the Planet Earth series. Christa has been wanting to see this for a long time and with the Netflix subscription we have been having one come in periodically as we make our way through the cue.

When we popped in the first DVD, I was amazed. It is a visually stunning presentation with amazing camera angles depicting scenes in nature that are either rarely, or never, seen.

Then we watched the next installment. Same thing. But, at this point I was starting to realize something. While visually stunning and groundbreaking, I wasn't really learning all that much. A few facts might be shared, but so much of the footage involved animals hunting animals or animals feeding.

As we are finishing the third DVD, I am looking for more. Don't get me wrong; it is enjoyable to watch. I just assumed I would be getting more out of them then I am.

I can see this serious being a lot of fun for middle school and high school students to watch. But for someone who does love science, I would be left hoping for more.

0 comments: