I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

A Gaming Realization

* geek alert *

As I have gotten back into playing Mass Effect, and making a more conscious effort to get into the story and the character development, I am finding myself interested in going back and re-playing games that I have including BioShock and Fallout 3. That's when it hit me. In the end, I enjoy RPGs when is comes to games. Whenever I try to play a game that is not in that genre, I an generally not all that excited about the game. Along with RPGs, I also like music games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

Perhaps, I am concerned that if I don't play all sorts of games, I wouldn't be viewed as a true gamer. But, I've tried Halo 3...and I suck. I'm not interested in putting in the time to be better, because I don't enjoy it. I kept trying Madden games, and they only brought overall frustration. I do feel a peer pressure to be playing the games that are popular at the time, but what is it worth if it's not that enjoyable. I'd rather get a few more achievements in a replay of an RPG than try to muscle out achievements in Halo.

I need to embrace the fact that I am a niche gamer. It will probably be cheaper in the long run, and I'll be playing the games that I enjoy.

I don't know what you call that...a geek rant?

0 comments: