I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Committees

Being a Residence Hall Director and a member of a church, I am no stranger to committees. I serve or have served on all sorts of committees:

Job
  • Senior Staff Committee (weekly)
  • Student Conduct Team (weekly)
  • LBGTQ Council (monthly)
  • Freshmen Project Committee (irregular)
  • Homecoming Committee (monthly)
Church
  • Worship Commission (every two months)
  • SPRC (monthly) - And I'm the chair of this one
  • Church Council (every two months)
This is only a start, but I am sure there are some committees that I serve on that I am missing. There are a few things that I have learned by serving on so many committees (And these truths are not specific to any one committee:
  1. There is no quicker way to take a good idea and delay its implementation than by sending it to committee.
  2. It is very easy to say, "Let's generate some ideas and we'll take of this next week." Does it really happen? Not too often.
  3. Decisions that would take 3o minutes end up taking 90 minutes.
  4. You find that the decision the committee came up with is exactly what one individual has been saying all along.
Is there something you have learned that is not on here? Please add it to the list.

0 comments: