I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Daddy'll Sing Bass, Mamma'll Sing Tenor

I received a phone call from a member of our church saying that the church choir was being called back together to sing each Sunday until the end of May. When out music director left, I assumed the choir would be done for the remainder of the year. It was wonderful that he stepped in and brought the choir back.

I was curious to see who would show up given the hard feelings that some had over the leaving of our music director. Some of the regulars were not there...but, there were some folks who have not been to choir that are now back. I can not say for sure why.

When I arrived, there was only one tenor. Although trained as a baritone in college and a bass in high school, I bit the bullet and sang tenor as well. Yikes! Singing tenor when you sing bass can definitely be a strain on the vocal chords. However, it was interesting to see music from another perspective. The tenors often fill in harmonies in chords and have a smoother line than bass parts.

When you get used to something, it can be hard to change. I think this tenor experience will be good for me.

0 comments: