I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Superstar

After a two year sabbatical from the Madden franchise, I decided to give Madden 2008 a try. More than anything, I needed to get over the threat of losing. Over the years (and after many broken controllers) I have succumb to the fact that you can't win every game of Madden that you play. As such, I have mostly enjoyed playing Madden and have tried out a new mode: Superstar.

In this mode, you play the role of one player on an NFL team. You can only control that player and you simulate the plays that don't involve your particular player. You have to choose a rookie or create a rookie, so I went with rookie Packers running back Brandon Jackson. He is listed as the starter and I have worked my way through one season and am 9 games through the second season.

As my wife could attest to, this can be extremely frustrating. As the running back, I can't call audibles or modify blocking/passing route schemes. Thus, I can tell that a play is going to fail, but there is nothing I can do about it. If players miss their blocks, I pay the price. I could be wide open and the QB throws an interception which is run in for a touchdown. I can't control the defense at all, so we may put up 21 points, but the defense gives up 40. Christa asks why I play if it is going to be so frustrating. I suppose that's a good question.

If anything, here are some lessons I have learned:
  • You can't control everything. Sometimes you need to do the best you can with what you control and hope for the best. Translation: Be the best RB you can be.
  • Just because something doesn't go well part of the time, it doesn't mean that the rest of of it will be bad to. Translation: Being down 21-0 doesn't mean give up. It means try to fight back!
  • You don't always win, no matter how hard you might try.
  • Always support the team, despite your own frustrations. Having a bad attitude only makes it worse for everyone else.
The Packers are 4-5 in Jackson's second year and I don't have high hopes regarding their playoff chances. Jackson is having a Pro Bowl year and could easily be the MVP of the team. Despite my frustrations, they emphasize the lessons above.

0 comments: