I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Gary Gygax - R.I.P.

In addition to the Brett Favre, there was another news story that actually hit me a little bit harder. I found out this afternoon that Gary Gygax, creator of Dungeons & Dragons and various other games and books, died yesterday at the age of 69.

I can remember back to 7th grade when I was rummaging through a closet and discovered my brothers D&D books. I thought they looked cool and read through them and then wanted to play. I ended up finding out that many of my friends played as well. Since then, I got high school choir friends together to play D&D, brought several college level groups together and even now I play with several students, staff and friends every Sunday.

Despite its dorky connotation, D&D has fostered so many friendships in my life. It has really helped me to be who I am. It has helped me to think on my feet, speak in front of groups and simply enjoy life.

My Dad wrote to me this morning that this is the end of an era. I agree. The gaming world will not be the same without Gary Gygax. I had the opportunity to met him once and he signed many of my books. I was honored. I look forward to honoring him this weekend as we play a little First Edition AD&D.

0 comments: