I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Moving Times & Council Meeting

I have a couple friends who are in the process of moving. I didn't post yesterday because I was up in La Crosse helping Ryan move his stuff into a storage room in his new Residence Hall where he will be working. Some highlights of the trip:
  • Getting a $10 parking ticket (Welcome to UW LaCrosse)
  • Waiting 30 minutes to return the keys to the U Haul (You're a good man, Gus!)
  • Waiting 10 minutes to get our food in the Hardees drive through (Customer service in LaCrosse in currently 0-2)
  • Good conversation on the trip home
We managed to get back from LaCrosse with time to spare, so I was able to get to my Church Council meeting on time. When all was said and done, the meeting lasted 90 minutes and I stayed after to talk to folks for an additional 60 minutes. It was a very intriguing meeting and speaks greatly to the status of our church. This is what I know:
  • Our church has continued to lose members over the last 30 years, to the point that our church has currently 340 members when it used to have 800 members.
  • Our church is old...meaning, there are not a lot of young people to keep the church going as our church continues to age.
  • Our church has a habit of not following procedure when disagreements come up and as a result, things are made much more difficult. I realize this more now as Staff/Parish Relations Commitee Chair.
  • Our church has a habit of always looking at things negatively: money, membership, ministry. It can be challenging as a member to be positive when people jump on the negative.
You may wonder why I am a member is I am struggling with my church so much. I think we can turn the bend and I hope to play my part to make this happen. Check my other blog for more about this coming soon.

0 comments: