I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Softball Game #4 Statistics and Commentary

We managed to play an entire game last night and we were remarkably competitive. Thus, the batting stats are much more inflated, seeing as though I had five at bats in this game.

_______
AB___R___H___RBI___BB___SO___LOB___OBP____AVG
Droste___8____2___4____3_____2____0____4_____.600____.500

So, let's move to the commentary. We only lost 9-8 and we played an entire game. Ironically, we actually were down a person and were only playing with 9 guys even though you are allowed to have ten. I assumed we would have done worse, but we did better. I can think of a few additional reasons why we faired better than usual:
  • We had a really good pitcher this game who almost always put the ball where it was needed and got a lot of guys to fly out.
  • Our old pitcher was able to play left field where we truly excelled and caught at least five balls.
  • All of our other players were playing in positions where they were good. No one looked like a liability.
  • We did not have any opposing batters that were left handed.
  • Their pitcher was awful and threw a lot of balls. I would say he walked at least 10-12 batters during the course of the game.
So, cheers to use for playing well, but I felt like we also had some help. I feel like our practices are finally strating to pay off. Hopefully we can keep this up. It is much more fun to play a game when it's competitive. :)

I also have to say that our opponents were some of the worst sports I have ever played against. I have never seen a team talk so much trash in a game. When I blew a throw they all laughed at me...what are we in, grade school? They got mad at us when we weren't swining at their pitches...however, if I did not move out of the way the ball was going to hit me. Sorry folks, not swinging at that. They would shout things when the ball was in the air and we were trying to catch it. The jawed at runners when they were on the base. It finalyl came to a head when one of our players got into an elevated discussion at second base. Yeah, they were bad. At the end of the game one of their players said, "If we lost to these guys, I would have cut all of your nuts off!" *sigh*

This being my fourth game, I am starting to relax out there. I think the first few games I was getting over the nerves of playing a game I had never really played competitively. Now, I feel more relaxed, especially playing first base. The fice at bats last night also had me more comfortable batting. I need to be careful not to swing at anything that comes over the plate. I could probably get a few more walks that way.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Playing against people who behave that way turn me off. It's the negative side of extreme competitiveness. If only people who enjoy playing for the sake of playing and do their best...