I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Oshkosh Softball Update

Monday's softball game reiterated the same problems that we have as a team. If we can't change these tendencies, there is no way we will be competitive in games. This includes:
  • Making unnecessary extra throws after we try to throw one runner out. Usually the person overthrows and misses the target and extra runs will score. I'd say we gave up five runs alone because of this.
  • Swinging at junk pitches. I admit, I don't like waiting for pitches. I want to swing, but we can't swing at junk. As a result we get lots of foul balls and high pop ups because we swing at everything. Again, as a team we need to all work on this.
  • Don't tell someone on the team that they are doing something wrong when they themselves are doing the same thing. Perhaps we all need to have a group practice to work on fundamentals.
I went 2-2 in the game. I did get caught trying to stretch a single into a double and was called. I thought I was safe, but you always think you're safe. I just let it go. I wish I could say the same thing about some of my teammates. Just as Pau Gasol has never committed a foul in his life, there is a guy on our team who argues every slide he makes. Guess what? Sometimes you are just out.

That brings up a larger issue. I have worked hard to not take these games so seriously. There were times when I'd come away from a game extremely frustrated and get worked up about my performance. I am doing better at letting go and having fun. I still would like to win, but I don't let it consume me like it used to. Unfortunately, there are too many guys on our team that forget that this is community softball. Let's have a little fun!

0 comments: