I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday Reflection

As I've said before, I try to pot here everyday. It's rare that I actually remember to post of the weekends...this one is an exception. I want to make sure that from now on the posts I make on here are meaningful and worth reading...worth reading to the 5-10 people that actually check this blog each day ;).

As someone who is looking to go into United Methodists ministry, this is tough to write: Christa and I are both struggling with going to church. Gasp! It had more to do with our own church than it does with church in general. When I go to my parent's church or to another environment, it always seems better. Perhaps the grass is always greener on the other side. Here are a few things that we are struggling with:
  • Our service is pretty much the same every week. I am all amount having a certain schedule that people can come to be comfortable with, but some variety helps keep things fresh. Our service has the same components week to week.
  • Church is at 9:00 AM. Hey, for the weekend, that's early...especially on a weekend. Try as I might, I can't get anyone to buy into the idea of a late morning, or dare I say, evening church service.
  • Since our congregation errs on the older side, it is a pretty passive group. There doesn't seem to be much motivation there. The younger folks are trying to participate, but it can be easy to get burned out and frustrated if things don't change.
It will be interesting to see how I feel when I am a pastor of my own church or part of a ministry team. How might my feelings change? How will others view the service that I/we put forth for the congregation?

0 comments: