I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Saturday, September 06, 2008

A Day of Leisure

I was able to do something today that I have not been able do to in a long time. I had a complete day of leisure. With training and licensing school, that has been about impossible.

I woke up when I felt like it (still at 9:00 AM) and watched TV and slowly got things ready for gaming. I DMed a AD&D adventure until 5:00 PM, went out for BBQ at Pearson's Pig and Poultry in Oshkosh and then played Last Night on Earth until a little while ago.

After church tomorrow morning, I will have the chance to watch football all day, while cleaning the apartment and working on small tasks throughout the day. It will be nice to come into the week with the batteries recharged.

One of the things I am trying to be conscious of this year is having enough time for myself. I want to be able to exercise, pray and practice my spiritual disciplines. It means sacrificing things that were important to myself and others. The hardest thing to give up was choir. The choir could probably use me and it's not a big commitment...but choir was frustrating and energy draining. I have decided not to be in church choir. I will probably get flack for it, but oh well.

I have also cut down on committee and other outside involvement with my job. As I transition into a new career, I don't feel the same drive to excel in the field of student affairs. I still care about my job, but it is not the focus of my life.

Hopefully this becomes a theme, more centered in life with less stress.

0 comments: