I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Exercise: The Next Step

For my five to 10 consistent readers, you know that I have been running in the mornings for most of 2008. While I appreciate the improvements I have seen in my physical fitness with running, I wanted to work out muscle groups not used in running as well as try different cardiovascular opportunities. With my membership to the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, I have access to the group exercises classes. With this in mind I have the following routine set-up.

Monday: morning - interval training run; evening - Core Adrenaline exercise class
Tuesday: morning - recovery run; afternoon - Sports Conditioning exercise class
Wednesday: morning - long distance run
Thursday: morning - recovery run; evening - Definitions exercise class
Friday: morning - short tempo run
Saturday: lift weights

I have tried this for a few weeks now, and here are a few observations I have made so far:
  1. Christa as joined me for the weightlifting work on Saturdays and that has been fun. There's a big difference between lifting with someone and lifting by yourself.
  2. I am a lot more sore now. It's not the unhealthy sore...it's the sore that comes with a good workout.
  3. Running does improve my cardiovascular endurance, but other forms of cardio still wipe me out really well. I look forward to being in even better shape.
  4. While I have not necessarily lost as much weight recently, I do feel slimmer and healthier.
  5. Exercising, while tiring, does overall give me more energy!

0 comments: