I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

What's Goin' On?

I have really appreciated being able to participate regularly in the Disciple class at Waukau UMC. The discussions are great and I like the idea of taking some time in my day to talk about my own Christian discipleship and how it fits into my life and the lives of others.

In our discussion yesterday, we talked about the time of prophets. We talked about how the Jewish people slowly, over time, began to deviate from the teachings and law of God. Despite the warnings of the prophets, things got worse and eventually the people were put into exile for a number of years.

I can't help but wonder if we are on the same track as Christians today. I look at our current financial crisis and wonder if God is trying to tell us that we put too much emphasis on money and financial issues. I wonder if our recent string of natural disasters stems as a wake up call that we have lost our way.

It doesn't take very long to realize we have lost our way. Our faith is being pushed aside by jobs, hobbies and other pursuits that have us racing so much from obligation to obligation, we can forget about God. Our society puts wealth, fame and status on a pedestal. Our country was founded on rugged individualism. We have lost our ability to look out for one another and realize who's really in charge.

It is frustrating, but it reinforces my call to ministry and most importantly, my call to discipleship.

Other News:
  1. Thank you to Abby Sylvia for letting me know I am on the main website for Oshkosh & Appleton Big Brother Big Sisters! Nope...not smiling in that one. Maybe there's a smirk there.
  2. Christa has her 2nd to last jazz concert tonight!

0 comments: