I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Camp Onaway - Part 3


For the third time in three months, I traveled to Camp Onaway. This time I was invited back by the WURHA organization to do a series of presentations. WURHA was holding their annual fall retreat called Bringing Leaders Together (BLT). At this event advisors are often wondering what they can do with their time becuase the programming at these events usually revolves around students.

Steph and I thought it would be a good idea to offer some programmig options for advisors. As such, I came back to the Onaway to present 3 sessions of ART Training for the advisors that were there. The sessions ended up going about 2.5 hours and they seemed to be useful to those in attendance...

...this trip to Onaway was the strangest I have had. It was the first time I came for something not affiliated with UW Oshkosh; it was also the latest in the year I have visited the camp. Everything was packed up as if the island was going to close, which it was once we left. The soda machines were cleaned out, the docks were packed up, sports equipment was gone. It felt somewhat empty.

Without large amounts of enthusiastic leaders, the energy of the island was not the same. We didn't stay in cabins, we mostly stayed in headquarters. The weather was too cold (and too wet) to do any outdoor activities; we stayed mostly in the dining hall. Games like "lightning" were not played. It just didn't feel quite the same.

I did have the opportunity to take a lap around the island, something I try to do every time I go to the island. It was nice to take in the magic of the island one more time. My only regret was not staying until lunch...I missed Onaway pizza!

I received a boat ride back to the mainland from the head of the island. He and I were chatting and I explained that I met my future wife at Camp Onaway. He was really happy to hear that! He was also excited that I had the opportunity to come to Onaway so many times in a year. I told him that I could not wait until next year when I can come back!

1 comments:

Hal and Anna said...

Hooray for romances that started at camp!