I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Merging of Blogs - Good Samaritan

One blog is enough. I tried to maintain two blogs, but for some reason I can't kep consistent with it. So, I have decided that I can put some religious thoughts in this blog and probably not seriously tick anyone off. If you do object, any blog abotu religion will be tagged so you don't have to read it and you can skip it.

I have mentioned in a previous blog that I receive a daily bible excerpt along with a reflection story. I get this from Upper Room, a part of United Methodist ministries. Today's bible lesson was very meaningful for me:

Jesus replied, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan while traveling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, 'Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.' Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?" He said, "The one who showed him mercy." Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise." (Luke 10:30-37)

Ah yes, the story of the good Samaritan. That phrase had definitely made it into our culture, heck we even have a Good Samaritan clause written into our law. Here is a man that has no real reason to help someone, but gives much of his time and resources to be helpful to him. He was generous and thought not of being repayed for his kindness. Jesus asked that others go out and act as the Good Samaritan did.

It sounds pretty simple and, in the end, I bet you we all act like the good Samaritan every day, doing nice things for others, but I bet you they are safe things, small things. They may take a few minutes out of our days or maybe a few dollars, but that's it.

When I read this story, Jesus is saying "Give, and give generously." This story makes me want to be the Good Samaritan, but really give to others. Jesus wants us to help others so that our money and our time becomes everyone's money and time so that we might be able to help out our fellow people. What can you do?

0 comments: