I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

OshCon 2006

I had the opportunity today to run an event at the 2006 OshCon event at the River Center on the UW Oshkosh campus. I was over there for four hours, from noon to 4:00 p.m. I ran an event that summarized some of the opening adventures of a campaign I ran in both high school and college. Some highlights of the adventure:
  • I had five people show up to play. I thought I faired well in comparison to two other folks who ran events where no one showed up. That was a good sign. It was an interesting mix of people. I had three people that I knew from UWO: TC, Rob and Kevin. I also had a man named Tony, who is from Rochester, MN. The last person was a boy named Nick. An ecclectic group, for sure.
  • I, as usual, planned way more than I needed. After awhile the group got into the adventure and we got off on tangents and fell into what would be a normal gaming session.
  • Tony is part of a gaming network in Rochester. He is doing a write-up of the adventure for his website.
  • I had a lot of people walk by with comments regarding the fact that we were running a 1st Edition AD&D. It had to be at least five different people. It was nice to see that there were others that were interested as well.
Some overall thoughts about OshCon 2006:
  • There are a lot of freaky people that play role-playing games...and anyone in that guise in the Fox Valley area was in Oshkosh today. OshCon is definitely a much, much smaller version of GenCon, but it had all the proper components.
  • It was a pretty informal affair. The nametags were hand-written. It was only in two rooms and there were no concessions except for what you could get in the soda machine.
  • There were maybe six vendors at the convention and two of them were places I see anyway: Chimera & House of Heroes. Otherwise, not that impressed.
I should probaly go back tomorrow to check things out. I probably won't. I what I will do for next year is play in more games as well as run more games. I am hoping that this event is the spark I need to get back into role-playing games. I haven't gamed in years...it was nice.

0 comments: