I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The National Anthem

When it comes to the US National Anthem, I am something of a purist. Based on personal beliefs and some national standards, I believe:
  • that you should stand and remove your hat.
  • that you should put your hand over your heart and face the nearest US flag.
  • that you should not sing along. (that's just me)
  • that you should never get the words wrong when you are performing it. If you need the words in front of you, do it!
  • that you can embellish the notes a little bit. I should at least be able to recognize the melody for the most part.
This past weekend, I attended an event where someone performed the national anthem and I was honestly insulted with the performance. The singer did not really stay in key, missed one of the words and changed the melody so much you wouldn't really recognize. I was very, very frustrated. I was close to the point that I wanted to stop this individual and sing it myself. My voice might break on the high notes, but I promise you it would be sung with feeling and reverence to out country.

*steps off soap box*

My feedback to the event staff supports these feelings and I am hopeful something like this does not happen again.

0 comments: