I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

First Day of Classes

Last night, Christa and I talked a little bit about the fact that she starts classes tomorrow. In somes ways, I think I was downplaying the emotions involved in the first day of classes. I say this becuase it has now been four years since I have had a class. It makes me think back to some of my more vivid memories of the first day of classes.

General Psychology
I will always remember this class because it was my first class as an undergraduate students back in the year 1995. It was 10:20-11:20 on Monday, Wednesday and Friday in Clow 102. It was funny becuase the first day the lecture pit was full and with each passing class there were less and less folks. I, of course, went to every class and witnessed this lovely event. My professor was Baron Perlman, a great professor, who has earned various teaching awards. It was great that he was teaching a first-year level class. It set the bar high for my future experience.

Music Theory
My sophomore year of college began my career as a music students. This class met Monday-Friday from 10:20-11:20. I had two professors, Dr. Chaudoir and Dr. Wise. They were both phenomenal professors, but were both also very demanding. For the first day of class, we had around 60 students in the class. I was stoked because I had taken piano lessons for eight years and I assumed that I would know more about theory than the average student. When they through my entire knowledge of theory in the first week I know there was going to be problems. Within a few short weeks, the class was down to 25 students. But a core of us stuck in out, despite many late nights and early mornings.

Speech
My only comment about this first class was that my speech teacher had a lisp. That doesn't seem quite right.

1 comments:

Hal and Anna said...

As someone who has taught public speaking, it is very nervous to know that students are observing how you speak in class and perhaps even critiquing you. Perhaps you just made your prof nervous...