I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Where Were You?

I don't anyone can deny that the acts of September 11, 2001 qualify as the "JFK Assassination" of my generation. Even five years after the fact, I still think about that day a significant amount. I will always remember what happened for me that day as well.

I was on my way to class that morning and among the group of students that I walked with to class, we heard that some planes were hijacked, but nothing had been destroyed at the moment. By the time I made it to class, our professor informed us that one of the World Trade Center Towers had been crashed into and that it was on the verge of collapse. After hearing this, I told the professor, "I have to see what's going on." I left to watch what was going on and was glued to my TV for most of the rest of the day.

Other memories:
  • I remember of my classmates telling me that they expected something like this to happen.
  • I remember crying more that day than I had in a long time.
  • I remember calling my dad and not being sure what to say on the phone.
  • I remember WIU having an impromptu student forum for people to gather. It was held in our ballroom and the room was packed.

Other News:

Yeesh, did the Packers lay an egg yesterday or what? Strangely, Ahman Green ran for over 100 yards and Donald Driver has a pretty good game. You also have to give the Packer defense some credit. They were on the field most of the game and they did what they could to stop the Bears. The score could have been a lot worse. Maybe by 6-10 prediction is being a little too nice. Thanks for Travis and Joe for leaving comments...it is going to be a long year for Packer fans.

Strange moment this morning. On my walk I felt the need to listen to hip/hop music on my walk. It just felt good...I downloaded "Remember the Name" by Fort Minor and it just got things started.

1 comments:

Hal and Anna said...

I remember being in Dr. Bob's class 5 years ago with you. That morning I could not get cnn.com to load, but didn't know anything was wrong until we went to class. The decision was made that class would be cancelled in order for the newly-minted para-professionals to be a resource to students. I remember talking with my dad and wondering if there would be some action in Lamoine Village taken to hide those of middle Eastern background in the fear of retaliation against the foreign students who lived among us.