I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Then and Now


I made my way out of my apartment this morning to go on a walk. As I passed by the Union and was making my way down the main drag of campus, I saw a man in a trenchcoat with an umbrella handing things out to people. I realized it was the time of year when the Gideons hand out their small bibles containing the New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs.

My first reaction was, "Thank goodness it's not the crazy guy that sits on the library steps and tells everyone they're going to hell." These guys are much nicer and they aren't pushy.

Having been an RHD here 4 years and a student 5 years, I have gotten used to them being a part of the year. However, I notice a real difference in my attitude toward their presence on campus. As a student, I always felt like they were enfringing on my space and I wish they would leave their "religion" off the campus. Now, I don't mind it so much. In fact, I appreciated it...it will be nice to keep in my brief case. It's more transportable than a full bible ;).

There are lots of reasons for the change. In undergraduate, I was very anti-religion and was still mad at God for what at the time I thought were some unfair circumstances he put me through. Now, I have come back to God and realized there is a purpose to all things, good and bad. I think time and graduation has caused me to realize that college serves the purpose of exposing people to all sorts of information, things they like and don't like...things they may realize or not realize. Plus, they were so nice. They didn't force anything on anyone.

If you have an opinion on the Gideons giving these out on campus, please post it here. Thanks!

Daily Shout-Out: Goes to Hal for sending me a great article about the continuation of the Madden curse. Shaun Alexander broke his left foot, keeping a streak of 8 years going. That is really eery.

Other News:

  • I continue to play Guitar Hero. It rocks. I am realizing how poor I have been in the past in participating in good leisure activities. Peter has an excellent post about this...make sure to check out his blog.
  • As much as I like the brat cart, it is also nice to be eating lunches in Blackhawk and hanging out with RHD colleagues. I forgot how important that can be in a hectic day.
Days Until the Wedding: 234 (I think I got this right...if I'm off it will correct itself in time.

0 comments: