I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sunday Reflection

As I reflect back on today's worship service, I both sang in the choir and played a bell solo. After playing the bell solo, I went over to the education wing so that I could participate in a lesson for the kids about the various committees at out church. The choir piece sounded great, the bell solo went fine (it was the second time I did it) and the education speech went OK. You can only do so much to explain the Staff/Parish Relations Committee to kids. They were squirrelly to begin with; my speech couldn't have helped things.

It got me thinking about everything that Christa and I do for the church. Christa teaches the pre-school kids on Sundays which can be a big ordeal (just ask her about the kids today). We appreciate helping where we can for the church, but it makes me wonder. Christa and I do not often, if ever, have the opportunity to be at church together. I'm in the choir loft and she's in the Sunday School wing. On a rare Sunday when we both might be off, we might get to be together. Many people in the church don't even know we're getting married because they never see us together.

It also diminishes our opportunities to simply sit in the congregation and be part of the service and not feel some nervousness or drive to do something related to the service. I think that's why I enjoy the summer because you have more of those opportunities.

Of course, this comes from someone who is interested in the ministry which would require participationg every Sunday. I imagine even pastors enjoy a Sunday off every once in awhile.

0 comments: