I update this blog almost every day. It could be about anything: politics & current events, religion, work, geek-related materials. Sometimes I just post random thoughts.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Two For Tuesday Movie Review

I had planned on writing about Children of Men today, and I will. However, last night I was hanging out with my little brother and the we decided to rent Crank. So, as long as I am writing about movies, I figured I could write about two.

Children of Men
I went to the film on the recommendation of Ken Fager, who said the movie was very good. I would definitely have to agree. Christa and I went to see this film over the weekend. Overall, it was a very engaging film and one that kept me in suspense because I honestly did know how things were going to end. Overall, I would give the movie a 8.0 out of 10 stars.

The Good
  • I thought the acting was superb. My favorite character was the character Jasper Palmer played by Michael Caine. I doubt he would get an Academy Award nomination for his role, but her certainly deserves one.
  • I liked the protrayal of the nead future, 2027. Many things are still the same but there are some components that lend themselves to increased technology. It reminded me of V for Vendetta.
  • This was a unique story line with a strangely biblical feel to it. It wasn't too much, but it was there.
  • The music was great, both the songs selected and the original music.
  • I was intrigued by how many main characters die in this movie. Sorry if this is a spoiler, but it really surprised me.
The Bad
  • I found the level of language and violence in the movie to be a little excessive. I suppose it had to do something with the genre of the film, but I could have done without it.
You really need to see this movie.

Crank
So, it's not in the same league as Children of Men. But, this is a fun movie. The plot is pretty simple. Man gets poisoned and will eventually die. The only way he can stay alive longer is to pump adreneline through his body. While he is still alive, he tries to exact revenge on those that did this to him.

What I liked about the film is that it is incredibly fast-paced. It's hard to get bored. They do some fun things with camera angles and presentation to keep the film fresh. There's a lot of action. There's quite a bit of humor. It's entertaining, which is what you're looking for.

It's obviously quite far-fetched and there are times where you are thinking, "Yeah right." But, it is what it is...a fun movie. I would give it a 6.5 out of 10.0 stars.

0 comments: